Tag Archives: Autumn 1997

When Carl Zeiss Jena Meant Eisfeld

Published in Autumn 1997  Zeiss Historica Journal

Author: Nicholas Grossman

See Pages 9 – 10.

In 1968, VEB Carl Zeiss Jena decided to expand to another location in the town of Eisfeld and moved the manufacture of binoculars to that location which was southwest of Jena. No change was made to the trademarks on the binoculars. The tried and true lens cell trademark still said Carl Zeiss in the top cell and Jena in the bottom.

To go to the Journal itself, click on the year 1997 in the first line above.

Jena At Last (History)

Published in Autumn 1997  Zeiss Historica Journal

Author: Larry Gubas

See Pages 6 – 8.

The author gives his impressions of his first trip to Jena, the home of Carl Zeiss, Ernst Abbe and Otto Schott. While it has been some years since the fall of the dreaded wall between East and West Germany, it had been a dream for much longer than that. Dr. Helga Beez who was the creator of the Optical Museum added pictures of the re-creation of the first Zeiss workshop.

To go to the Journal itself, click on the year 1997 in the first line above.

Hensoldt in Wetzlar (History)

Published in Autumn 1997  Zeiss Historica Journal

Author: Larry Gubas

See Page 13 – 14.

The former competitor (Hensoldt, Wetzlar) seeks financial help and receives it from the Carl Zeiss Stiftung in 1928 but is managed separately from the other Zeiss firms. In 1964, the family sells the remainder of the business to Zeiss and transfers the manufacture of their binoculars to the Hensoldt factory.

To go to the Journal itself, click on the year 1997 in the first line above.