Tag Archives: Zeiss Oberkochen

Rifle Telescope sights from Zeiss

Published in Autumn 2004 Zeiss Historica Journal

Author: John Schilling

See Pages 2 – 5.

A discussion about the slow acceptance of Zeiss riflescopes until the 1930’s only to disappear withthe war and then be dormant until the mid-1960s when Zeiss used the Hensoldt factory to make a new design based on suggestions from the US based staff. This is a very competitive market today, especially with the boom in hunting.

To go to the Journal itself, click on the year 2004 in the first line above.

The Coburg Connection

Published in Autumn 2005 Zeiss Historica Journal

Author: Charles Barringer

See Pages 20 – 24.

After WWII, there was a great shortage of equipment to begin manufacturing photo lenses in the Western zones of Germany. Luckily, a small medical subsidiary (Kollmorgen) of the Carl Zeiss Stiftung had relocated with appropriate equipment to the small town of Coberg since it had major damage early in the war. So, Zeiss temporarily moved there to begin manufacturing Tessar lenses and filters.

To go to the Journal itself, click on the year 2005 in the first line above.